Friday, January 28, 2011

Anyone feel like this?



" I Keep Bangin My Head Against This Wall......"  How often have you felt like this in your own training, when you train your clients/athletes, or with other aspects of your life?  Inevitably, everyone at some point will have this feeling in regards to some aspect of their daily lives.  The question then, is what do you do because of this feeling.  Einstein defined stupidity as doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.   Do you continue on your same bull-headed path to frustrations "hoping" that something will change, or do you actively look to create the change that will re-direct the path you are traveling down?  If you chose the first option, Einstein called you stupid several years ago.  Sorry, just pointing out the facts.

I recently spent a few hours with Master RKC Jeff O'Connor with the hopes that he could help me move past a couple training plateaus that I had been stuck on (and yes, I was being bull-headed with what I had been doing. ie - stupid).  In the three hours I spend with him, I was repeatedly reminded that ignoring my own issues wouldn't make them go away. (It's not like we are all 2 years old and everything disappears when we close our eyes.)  He did this both verbally - telling me to quit avoiding my restrictions, and physically - putting me in positions that made me face and acknowledge my restrictions.  And, surprisingly over the past couple of weeks by re-directing the course of my own training those restrictions aren't as obvious and more importantly those plateaus are for the time being not an issue for me anymore. Could I have fixed my problems by myself? I don't know, I hadn't fixed them in the previous 6 months and wasn't moving forward very fast.  I was putting in a TON of time and effort, but not seeing much in the way of results. 

So, the moral of the story: If you aren't happy with your training (or  you aren't happy with the results your athletes/clients are getting)  it is time to re-evaluate what you are doing.  What can you change or do differently that will give you the results you are looking for.  Maybe it is a little change, maybe it is a drastic change, but either way there needs to be a change.  Take the initiative to do something different, and you might be surprised by the results you get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment